Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Ode to Doughnuts

It makes no sense that I am a carb counter. The rationale is that if I am cautious day to day, then when I do decide to take a day off, I can go as crazy as I like. That brings us to my favorite guilty pleasure, doughnuts. I have come to the conclusion that doughnuts are the chicken of the pastry world and the ultimate comfort food. Remember doughnut bread pudding? Not too long ago I couldn't decide on ice cream or a doughnut for dessert/midnight snack and this monstrosity happened: 



Don't be too impressed. All I did was cut a doughnut in half and make it into an ice cream sandwich. The drizzle is store bought caramel sauce. I will say, however, that this was a genius idea and absolutely delicious. I recreated multiple times since the original and it even works brownie sundae style if you warm up the doughnut, put the ice cream on top, and then drizzle with your sauce of choice. 

For those who followed me before, it's nothing new that I love making breakfast. I find breakfast staples such as omelets, pancakes, and french toast to be so versatile and easy to play with. So when I have a box of a dozen Krispy Kreme doughnuts at home and the straight up doughnut craving has been curbed, interesting things are bound to happen.  

Krispy Kreme French Toast with Nutella

Super simple yet somehow, fancy looking. I swear, sometimes, a couple strawberries on the side is all it takes to class up a plate. Again, I cut a doughnut in half, then poked the glazed side of each half a few times to better absorb the french toast batter then fried as per usual french toast. Spread a little Nutella on there and viola. 





No comments:

Post a Comment