Monday, July 27, 2009

"Mexican Pizza"

Do you ever get that accumulation of odds and ends in the refrigerator? The half can of something, the crumbly ends of that other thing, the open bag of cheese? Drives me bananas. I try to make what I eat so I can avoid that (except for the treats, I love treats, treats can linger all they want). Living with my parents, creates a smidge of a conflict with this. I drive my mom nuts because I'll throw stuff away to avoid leftovers or give them away when we have people over. Every so often I'll take some pity on those poor leftover tidbits and attempt to throw them together to make something for dinner. A while ago, John posted his recipe for Mexican lasagna on Epic Portions, and it made me drool. I've been wanting to make it for a long time, but I've just been putting it off. I still need to get my act together and make it for real. I had to mention it though, because that's where I got the idea for "Mexican pizza"
My leftover tidbits were some bacon, cheese, beans, jalapenos, beans, half a tomato, and half an onion.
Bottom layer: beans, corn, cheese, jalapenos, and bacon
Top layer: onions, tomatoes, cheese
I don't know what possessed me to cook it in the oven. It took longer than I was hoping for (I scarfed down leftover spaghetti while I waited) but it still came out delicious. I think next time I would put it in the toaster oven. Some sour cream and hot sauce, I was in heaven. 

1 comment:

  1. I actually looks awesome :)

    I love cooking with leftovers....it's like Top Chef Homecooks....it's my own Quickfire Challenge to see what I can make with what I've got on hand....and I can only use the staple pantry items.

    Nice to see you shop at Safeway too :P

    ReplyDelete