Monday, August 3, 2009

Thin Mint Pie

Most people buy normal quantities of Girl Scout Cookies, in my family, we buy enough to last until they start selling them again. No joke, about 30 boxes every year. That means there's a good chance when that Girl Scout comes knocking on the door I'll answer with a Samoa in my hand. There have been a lot of recipes for Samoa bars floating around on the internet but what about the other cookies? Don't they deserve some lovin' too? Tag-a-Longs are just as deserving, Thin Mints are no less delicious, and those lemon ones with the powdered sugar are for real addictive. 

Friday night I bought a tart pan for reasons I won't get into now, but it played a big part in this, I was out and about all weekend and I finally came home at 10pm on Sunday, but that was as good of a time as any to make a pie. And my brilliant plan? Crushing up Thin Mints for the crust!
Same idea as a graham cracker crust, crushed up cookies (I used a sleeve and a half for a 9 inch pie pan, it made for a thick crust) and half a stick of melted butter. I then baked it at 350 degrees for oh, 15 minutes? I have no clue, I have terrible time perception and forgot to look at the clock, so maybe it was 20? It was enough for it to all firm up. Since the cookie crumbs have the chocolate coating, don't bother trying to press the crust up the sides. The chocolate will melt and all will come down anyways.
Years ago I found a chocolate mousse recipe in a magazine and saved it in my purple cooking notebook because I do dorky things like that. It's pretty basic, but it's light, delicious, and gets the job done. I chose that as my filling. Use whatever chocolate mousse rocks your socks. 
I probably should have doubled the mousse for the pie (for reference, my mousse was based on 4 eggs and 4 ounces of chocolate, and I felt the mousse layer was a tad thin). Since by this point it was almost 11pm, I wasn't about to stay up for the final product, I let it chill in the fridge overnight and woke up to chocolate lovers dream. 

6 comments:

  1. Ok.. what do I have to do for a slice?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you girl, making my favorite combination! Mint and chocolate! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Damn! So smart! I swear you've been blessed with culinary and creative genius.

    That is amazing that your family buys that many. Have you tried any of the DQ Girl Scout Blizzrd varieties?

    The best thing ever is Thin Mints frozen!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you made a Girl Scouts Tagalong cookie pie, I might propose to you on the spot! :)

    -IndianapolisEater

    ReplyDelete
  5. Intriguing.... I'm gona have to hunt for a box of tagalongs. I'm still trying to find a way to do Bear's challenge!!!

    ReplyDelete